Potato Picking and Grading Jobs in UK for Foreigners in 2023: Because potatoes can be grown all over the UK at different times of the year, this is the best job for tourists who want to work in the UK on a Working Holiday Visa. It is also a great choice for people who want to extend their holiday work visa for a second or third year. Potatoes grow well and quickly all over the UK, in both warm and cold climates.
Potatoes can grow anywhere: in big pots, small patches, or raised beds. The only thing to remember is that they shouldn’t be growing when it’s frosty because they need almost 90 days of extreme cold at no cost. Also, too much hot weather (like in January and February) is not ideal. In the past, potatoes were one of the most important crops and goods grown in the UK, especially in Northern Ireland.
This shows the possibility of getting a job as a potato harvester or a potato picker. In today’s post, Best Connection Employment Group Limited talks about a great chance for tourists and seasonal workers. Read on for all the important job details and descriptions, such as what skills and experience are needed, what visa options are available, and how to apply online. So, let’s find out more about picking and sorting potatoes in the UK for foreigners in 2023:
In recent years, many people from other countries who want to work in agriculture have moved to the United Kingdom. Picking and grading potatoes has become a good way for people to make a living and enjoy the countryside of the UK at the same time. This article will go into depth about picking and grading potatoes, which will be helpful for foreigners who are interested in this job.
The Allure of Potato Picking and Grading Jobs
The Beauty of Rural UK
One of the best things about picking potatoes and sorting them in the UK is getting to spend time in the peaceful countryside. Working in this sector gives you a unique look at rural life in Britain, with its beautiful landscapes, lush green fields, and quaint towns.
Seasonal Work Opportunities
Jobs like picking potatoes and sorting them are usually open from September to November. This fits nicely with the wish of many foreigners to have a flexible work schedule that lets them travel or do other things when the tourist season is over.
Picking and sorting potatoes can bring in a lot of money. Workers are often paid by the hour or based on how much produce they pick or grade. This gives them the chance to make more money by working hard and being dedicated.
Details of Potato Picking and Grading Jobs in UK for Foreigners
- Job Country: UK
- Employer’s location: Haverfordwest SA62, Wales, UK
- Employer’s name: Best Connection Employment Group Limited.
- Industry: Agriculture/ Farm Jobs
- Job Title: Potatoe Harvest Workers/ Potatoe Pickers/ Potato Farm Workers.
- Job type: Part-time/ Rotating Shift basis. (Finishing time can vary).
- Experience Required: No
- Knowledge Required: Not High
- Age Limit: No
- Visa Sponsorship: Varies from one employer to another.
- Valid visa types: 2nd and 3rd year working holiday visa, Work visa, Seasonal worker visa, Student visa, and PR holders.
- Accommodation: Varies from one employer to another.
- Expected Salary: £18-30 with %15 for PM Loading.
- Expected Season: All around the year but not during extreme weather.
Requirements of Potato Picking/ Grading Backpackers Jobs in UK
- The person applying should be physically fit and strong enough to carry a heavy picking bag (between 2 and 20 kg) and be able to climb up and down stairs.
- The person applying should be able to work long hours and extra hours.
- The candidate must be able to work in an open way and be a team player.
- Having picked or packed potatoes before is helpful, but not necessary.
- The candidate should have a Working Holiday visa for their second or third year.
- The candidate should be able to find his or her own place to live.
- Since there is no public transportation close by, the candidate should be able to get around on his own.
- The candidate should be good at inspecting and ranking.
- The person applying has to work for a few days to learn the skills needed to be a fast picker. In other words, you train yourself on the job.
- The candidate is responsible for keeping himself safe.
- Self-driven and willing to try new things.
Responsibilities/Obligations of a Potato Grading Worker/ Backpacker
- Planting and trimming potato plants by hand.
- Taking care of farms by doing things like mowing, picking rocks, hoeing weeds, racking old leaves, loosening the soil around plants, leveling the ground, etc., on a regular basis.
- By hand, removing some of the apples from the trees.
- Keeping track of the number of packing bags in stock and how many are expected for the whole crop. Getting bags ready before gathering.
- Farm cleaning.
- The candidate must be able to stay back in a hurry.
- Getting rid of overripe or bad potatoes or bags that don’t work.
- Last check and sorting of potatoes.
- Handling bags between 2 to 20 kgs.
- Load graded potatoes into bags for shipping while being careful not to cause any damage.
- Some graders/packers also have to drive tractors or other vehicles to bring fruit and veggies to the packing shed.
- Potatoes can be packed and stacked without getting damaged.
Benefits of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs
- The normal hourly rate for Level 1 is between £18 and £30, and PM shifts get an extra 15%.
- All Leave Entitlements.
- Kilmore Potatoes Ltd has a lot of farms and other businesses in Ireland. Also, the weather and land conditions in all of Ireland are very good for gathering potatoes. So, there will always be work for people who pick potatoes or go backpacking.
- Shifts change every three weeks. AM shifts start at 5 a.m. Monday through Saturday, and PM shifts start at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- There are also a lot of potato farms in Haverfordwest County because it is a good place to grow potatoes.
Potato Harvesting/ Farming Season in Haverfordwest, Wales
Most people can buy British Queen from July to August. The best time to buy Kerrs Pink potatoes is from September to mid-June, so this is the most popular type of potato in Wales all year.
How to apply for Potato Picking and Grading Jobs in UK for Foreigners?
- If you click on the link below, you’ll be taken to the official job search site. Use the “Apply” button below the job description to send in your application.
- You can also use yourself to look for a job by using the search box and the area box to narrow down the results of your job search. Type your job title, such as “Farm Jobs in Wales, UK for foreigners/with visa sponsorship,” “Farm Jobs in Wales for Working Holiday Workers,” “Vegetable Picking/Grading Jobs in Wales for foreigners/with visa sponsorship,” “Potato Picking or Grading Jobs in Wales for foreigners,” “Agriculture Jobs for Working Holiday Visa,” or “Agriculture Jobs in Wales with visa sponsorship.”
- Choose Haverfordwest, Ireland in the bar that says “Location” right below the “Search” bar.
- It’s best to keep your CV or resume and cover letter up to date with the latest market trends since your boss is likely to notice how they are laid out and presented.
- Examine the job posting details like job description, job requirements, job duties, etc.
- Ensure you meet all standards before you apply. Carefully look at the job part and what it requires.
- Click the “Online Application” button below.
- Fill in the information asked for and send in the application.
- Check to see if you got a confirmation email for the job application you sent.
Picking and rating potatoes in the UK is a great way to experience the countryside, make money, and learn about the culture. This field can be a fun adventure for foreigners looking for seasonal work. Seize the chance to work in the UK’s rolling fields while making experiences that will last a lifetime.
People Also Ask
What is working on a potato grader?
To make sure quality standards are met, the job includes looking at potatoes on a conveyor belt and picking out things that aren’t potatoes, like clods, stones, and stalks, as well as green, cut, and rotten potatoes.
What is the Benefits of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs
The normal hourly rate for Level 1 is between £18 and £30, and PM shifts get an extra 15%.
All Leave Entitlements.
Kilmore Potatoes Ltd has a lot of farms and other businesses in Ireland. Also, the weather and land conditions in all of Ireland are very good for gathering potatoes. So, there will always be work for people who pick potatoes or go backpacking.
Shifts change every three weeks. AM shifts start at 5 a.m. Monday through Saturday, and PM shifts start at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
There are also a lot of potato farms in Haverfordwest County because it is a good place to grow potatoes.